Zoning FAQs

How far can I build from the road?

In the Agricultural District, all structures must be setback 73 feet from the center of any road and 10 feet from any property line.

Can we apply for an application online?

Not at this time.  Please note you can mail in an application and we will review it as soon as it arrives.  We do not accept credit or debit cards at this time.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Provided the application is complete it takes about 1-2 days for you to receive the permit.  If your project requires an instant answer simply follow-up by calling our office or hand delivering your application.

How long is a permit good for?

Land use permits are valid for one (1) year from the date of issuance.  Permits may be extended for an additional year, provided significant construction has occurred.  Land use permits cannot be extend for a third year expect by: 1) waiting 90 days after the permit expired and 2) completing a new application.

How long does it take to get a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Variance?

You can typically expect a 60 day window for CUP’s and variances because the item needs to be announced at a Planning Commission or Board of Adjustment meeting, published in the legal newspaper, and a public hearing will be held.

How do I find out if I need a new septic?

Please contact your local septic person, provided he or she has the correct licensing, they will be able to determine the condition of your system.

Why do I have to install a “mound” septic system?

The designer and County do not determine, per se, if you are required to have a mound septic system, it is determined by the types of soils on the property.  The better the soil (no rust/redox) the better the chance you will have for a traditional in-ground system.