What is the address and phone number of the Fillmore County Jail?

Fillmore County Jail
901 NW Houston St
Preston, MN 55965

What are the visiting hours at the Fillmore County Jail?

Visiting hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30pm – 4:30pm and 7pm – 9pm

You must have a picture ID before you will be allowed to visit.

How can I contact or leave a message for an inmate?

You can call 507-765-9950 to leave a message for an inmate.

You can also go to www.reliancetelephone.com or call 800-896-3201 to prepay time on a phone card.

Can an inmate receive mail?

Detainees can send and receive mail.  The address to send mail to a detainee is: "Name of Detainee" Fillmore County Jail, 901 NW Houston St, Preston, MN 55965.  If you are mailing "funds" to a detainee please do not send personal checks.  We accept only Money Orders, Certified Bank or Teller Checks and Cash.  We also cannot accept pre stamped return envelopes or stamps, photo copies of any kind or any computer print-outs. You can also drop money off in the lobby or go to www.inmatecanteen.com.

Is there a way to be notified if an inmate is released?

If you are a victim and wish to have notification on an offender's incarceration status, you can register at any time by calling toll-free 1-877-MN-4-VINE or 1-877-664-8463. When the offender is released, transferred, or escapes, the registered person(s) will receive an automatic telephone notification. (Do not depend solely on the VINE Service for your protection. If you feel that you may be at risk, take precautions as if the offender has already been released).

Do not depend solely on the VINE Service for your protection. If you feel that you may be at risk, take precautions as if the offender has already been released.

Can I get fingerprints taken?

We provide fingerprinting services at the Fillmore County Jail.  This can be done by calling 507-765-3874 and asking for the jail to set an appointment.  Most appointments can be made same day.  If you live in Fillmore County there are no costs.  Residents living outside Fillmore County will be charge $20 cash only.  Be sure to bring a photo ID and any special fingerprint card you have been issued.

What is the process for getting Work Release or Huber Release?

Work Release/Huber inmates will obtain additional information through the screening process.  If you are sentenced to serve time in Fillmore County Jail on the Work Release/Huber program, please report directly after court for the necessary paperwork.  If you failed to do this, contact the Jail Programmer as soon as possible at 507-765-3874.

What can I do if there is a warrant for my arrest?

If you feel you have a warrant for your arrest and would like to take care of the matter before an officer or deputy show up at your place of employment or home, you may call the Fillmore County Court at 507-765-4483 and ask for Court Administration, or you can call the Detention Center at 507-765-3874.

If I am arrested when will I go to court?

This is completely dependent on the court system and their court schedule.  The Sheriff's Office has little or no control over court appearances.  Everyone in custody is booked and the paperwork delivered to Court Administration to be included on the daily jail calendar, however, special circumstances in the courts can arise.  By law, new arrests fall under either the 48 or 36 hour rules.  Each one has slightly different calculation requirements that determine how long someone can be held before being seen in court.  The primary difference is that the 48 hour rule requires judicial review within 48 hours of arrest.  The 36 hour rule does not count Sundays, holidays, or the day of arrest.

What is the difference between bail and bond?

Bail and Bonds are related terms referring to a requirement imposed by the court that a defendant put forth a financial backing to their promise to appear in court as ordered.  Basically, bail is cash paid by the defendant, or on his/her behalf.  Bonds are, essentially, a document provided by an authorized bonding company guaranteeing that the defendant will appear or the bonding company will have to pay the court.  Bail is accepted in the full amount in cash only.  Bonds are usually posted by an approved bonding agent for a set fee (typically around 10% of the bond amount) and other guarantees or collateral.

Bail that is posted is normally returned to the defendant once they have satisfied the courts requirements, but may be forfeited if the defendant does not appear on the assigned court date or may be credited towards fines and fees due to the court.  Money paid to a bonding agent is normally considered a fee and is not returned.