- A vital component of USA Freedom Corps that was created to help coordinate volunteer activities that will make our communities safer, stronger, and better prepared to respond to any emergency situation. It provides opportunities for people to participate in a range of measures to make their families, their homes, and their communities safer from the threats of crime, terrorism, and disasters of all kinds. Citizen Corps is coordinated nationally by the Department of Homeland Security.
- The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates and trains citizens in basic disaster response skills. These volunteers support the local response capability by training volunteers to organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers at the disaster site, to provide immediate assistance to victims, and to collect disaster intelligence to support responders’ efforts when they arrive.
- For more information please contact the Fillmore County Emergency Management Office (See main page). You can also complete this form and mail it to Fillmore County Emergency Management, 902 Houston Street NW, Suite 4, Preston, MN 55965 to sign up to be a volunteer. There is free training provided.
- Volunteers in Police Service (VIPS) works to enhance the capacity of state and local law enforcement to utilize volunteers.
- Neighborhood Watch/USAonWatch incorporates terrorism awareness education into its existing crime prevention mission. www.citizencorps.gov/program/watch
- The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) Program helps medical, public health, and other volunteers offer their expertise.
- Fire Corps promotes the use of citizen advocates to provide support to fire and rescue departments.