For additional answers to you questions call us at 507-765-4937 or go to: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Milsvc/benfacts.htm

How can I obtain proof of military service?

Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, is used to apply for proof of military service regardless of whether you served on regular active duty or in the selected reserves. This request form is NOT processed by VA. Rather, Standard Form 180 is completed and mailed to the appropriate custodian of military service records. Instructions are provided on the reverse of the form to assist in determining the correct forwarding address.

What Is VA Disability Compensation?

Disability Compensation is a benefit paid to a veteran because of injuries or diseases that happened while on active duty, or were made worse by active military service. It is also paid to certain veterans disabled from VA health care. The benefits are tax-free.

Who Is Eligible for Disability Compensation and How Can I Apply?

You may be eligible for Disability Compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.  The best way to apply is to make an appointment with your local Veteran Service Officer and have them assist you in the paperwork process.

Below are some things to bring with to assist in the process.

· Dependency records (marriage & children's birth certificates)

· Any Medical evidence (doctor & hospital reports or notes) that will support your claim.

· Buddy statements this can be from friends or family that have information.

· Pictures.

· Original or Certified Copy of your DD 214 Discharge or an NGB 22 Release form the National Guard. If you do not have any of these we can help you in getting one.

My service-connected disability has worsened since receiving my current disability evaluation. What should I do?

You should submit a claim for an increased evaluation of a current disability that has worsened by using you CVSO.  All non VA medical evidence that supports your claim should be brought in with you.

How much does VA pay in compensation?

What Is VA Pension?

Pension is a benefit paid to wartime veterans with limited income, and who are permanently and totally disabled or age 65 or older. 

Who Is Eligible for a VA Pension?

You may be eligible if:

  • you were discharged from service under other than dishonorable conditions, AND
  • you served 90 days* or more of active duty with at least 1 day during a period of war time, AND
  • you are permanently and totally disabled, OR you are age 65 or older, AND
  • your countable family income is below a yearly limit set by law (see below).

* However, anyone who enlists after September 7, 1980, generally must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty.

For more complete information, see the Improved Disability Benefits Pension Rate Table - Effective 12/1/08 on the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website.

How do I apply for a VA guaranteed loan?

You can apply for a VA loan with any mortgage lender that participates in the VA home loan program. At some point, you will need to get a Certificate of Eligibility from VA to prove to the lender that you are eligible for a VA loan. 

How do I get a Certificate of Eligibility?

Complete an 1880: You can apply for a Certificate of Eligibility by submitting a completed VA Form 26-1880, Request For A Certificate of Eligibility For Home Loan Benefits, to the Winston-Salem Eligibility Center, along with proof of military service. In some cases it may be possible for VA to establish eligibility without your proof of service. However, to avoid any possible delays, it's best to provide such evidence. 

Can my lender get my Certificate of Eligibility for me?

Yes, it's called ACE (automated certificate of eligibility). Most lenders have access to the ACE (automated certificate of eligibility) system. This Internet based application can establish eligibility and issue an online Certificate of Eligibility in a matter of seconds. Not all cases can be processed through ACE - only those for which VA has sufficient data in our records. However, veterans are encouraged to ask their lenders about this method of obtaining a certificate.