Child Support FAQs

How do I establish/change custody/parenting time?

You may consult a private attorney for legal advice. (This child support office does not have authority in this area.)

Who can apply for child support services?

Child support services are available to anyone who has a child not living with both parents.

What if I would like to authorize another person to contact the child support office and obtain information on my case?

You can complete an authorization form from the Minnesota Child Support Division website and submit it to your local child support office.

How can I stop child support services?

If you were the applicant for services, you can complete a request to close support case from the Minnesota Child Support Division website and submit it to your local support office. If there are no public assistance programs open and no public assistance past due support owing on the case, the child support office will remove charges and balances owed to you and will process the case for closing. The child support office may a keep a portion of the case open if there are arrears owed to the State of Minnesota.

My child is 18 years old and will graduate high school in June. My child is planning on attending college in the fall. Will my child support continue while they are in college?

Secondary school is high school. In most cases, child support obligations end when a child turns 18 or graduates high school, whichever is later, up to age 20. Charging can continue if the child is incapable of self-support due to a mental or physical condition.

I misplaced a copy of my court order. How do I get another copy?

Contact the Court Administrator's office in the county that issued the order. The Fillmore County Court Administration phone number is 507-765-3356.

Several months ago my child turned 18 and stopped attending high school. My child support stopped, but now my child is back in school. How can I get child support payments started again?

After child support charges were stopped due to a child being considered emancipated, the parent request support payments will need to file a motion to modify your order with the Court to ask the judge to order the support payments to begin again. The court forms and procedures are published through the MN courts website.

I am the spouse of someone who owes past due child support and the child support office intercepted our joint tax refund. Most of it was mine, and I want my portion back. How do I get it?

If it was a federal tax refund, an injured spouse form 1099X should have been filed with the IRS when you prepared your taxes. If this was not filed, you will need to do this for the IRS to send you your portion of the refund. You may want to contact your tax preparer for further assistance.

If it was a state tax refund, you will want to contact your child support worker. You will need to provide a complete copy of your tax return including all schedules and W-2s.

I went to court and just received my order. I think the order is wrong. What can I do?

You can file a motion to correct clerical error or a motion to review judge's decision within the time frames specified in your order. The forms and procedures can be found on the MN courts website.

What should I do if I think someone is committing fraud?

You may report any concerns regarding fraud by calling 1-800-627-9977.

I think I may be the father of a child that has not been born yet and I'm concerned the mother wants to give it up for adoption without my consent, what can I do?

You may want to register with the Minnesota Fathers' Adoption Registry. Please contact them for further information: 1-888-345-1726.

What do I do if I have safety concerns with the other parent?

You can report safety concerns to your child support worker and they will make a record of your concerns and depending on the circumstances you may be referred to other departments in the agency.

I lost my PIN to access my case online and through the payment line. How do I get a new PIN?

You can contact the child support office servicing your case, and they can mail you a new PIN.

What if the other parent won't let me see the child or we don't agree on a schedule?

Child support and parenting time are separate legal issues. This office cannot provide you with advice or assistance regarding custody or parenting time. You may wish to consult a private attorney for these issues.

My driver's license has been suspended for non-payment of child support. I need a driver's license to work. How do I get the suspension lifted?

Contact you Child Support Officer about entering into a possible payment agreement. As long as you remain current with payment agreement lifting of the suspension will continue. More detailed information can be found on the Department of Human Services website.

How do I get my passport hold released?

Contact the Minnesota Child Support Enforcement Division at 651-431-4400 to find out what must be done to release the hold.

How do I change my child support order that is managed through the county?

If your child support case is managed through a child support office, you can request a review and modification of the order by phone or in writing. You will be asked to provide financial information.

If your modification request is denied, you may file your own motion in the Expedited Process. The court forms and procedures are published through the MN courts website. You may also contact a private attorney.

How do I change my child support order if my case is not through the county?

If you do not have an open child support case through a county office, you can use the court forms and procedures that are published to file the motion yourself in District Court. The forms can be found at the MN courts website.